Pages

Saturday, February 24, 2007

If Everyone Listened.....

Some people think I'm crazy teaching middle school. Some think I'm either a saint or a masochist for liking what I do. Some days I wonder myself. I'm definitely not a saint and although I have a relatively high threshold for pain, I don't spend 40 hours a week with 13 year olds because I enjoy being tortured. I teach because I believe education, particularly public education is the foundation of an open society and democracy. I teach middle school because the students are just beginning to form opinions and take stock of the events and circumstances that either allow them to feel connected and valued by a community or disenfranchised and worthless. My students are working on projects for the Micronesia Challenge. I set up a blog for the students to express their thoughts and share their ideas and projects. Its called Student Action For a Viable Environment. Except for the environmental club students, all other students on my team (200 8th graders) sign in under one user name (hilitai). So unless they sign their name in the post, I don't know who it is. This doesn't really matter, but one of my students posted a music video by Nickleback called "If Everyone Cared". I cried when I watched it. My mystery student heard a song and listened. He saw a video and paid attention. He gets it! Wouldn't it be nice if everyone did care? Click on the link above and see for yourself.

No comments: