Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2007

New Contributor: Bree Reynolds


I met my students this morning at 8:00 a.m. at the playground near PIC. The plan was to walk up the beach to Hopwood and pick up trash as we went. Once we started, I noticed that the beach was amazingly clean!


Thanks to regular clean up efforts from PIC and Hopwood students. Plus, being the 30th person in line to go down a beach isn't exactly an effective use of my garbage picking skills, since everything had already been removed by the people ahead of me. So I stayed behind near San Antonio Elementary School and helped with the illegal dump site Angelo mentioned before. We found the insides of a car, carefully wrapped in blanket scraps for hauling, old refrigerators, a pile of illegally harvested trochus, tires, an old couch, a few t.v.' s, vinyl floor tiles, and diapers, diapers diapers. People shouldn't have kids if they can't dispose of the waste properly, that's just nasty!!! I found rusting palette straps most likely from garment factories, a leg to a Barbie doll (which I kept) and a couple of other toys.


The sad thing is, I don't even think we made a dent. The whole time I kept thinking how do we stop this? How do we go about changing people's bad behavior?

3 comments:

Volunteer Guy said...

Thanks for the post, Bree! I added SAVE as one of the Beautify CNMI Community Partners!

CNMI Blogger said...

Welcome New Contributor Bree! Thanks. We could sure use the help with the postings.

Sorry I missed the clean-up today, All. I was tied up with the Martin Luther King participants award ceremony which I had to attend as I was one of the sponsors and presenters.

See you all at tomorrow's clean-up!

Rep. Cinta Kaipat

Anonymous said...

Bree: It was nice working with you, Doug, and your students and staff at Hopwood yesterday. Thank you again for being a part of the solution to helping to clean up our island. -Steve Nguyen (www.beyondbehaviors.com)